The process by which an individual is injured or killed by electric shock.
What to Do If Someone Has Been Electrocuted
Electricity is a powerful force- it doesn’t take much to do serious harm. In the case of electric shock, knowing what to do and how to handle the situation can be the difference between life and death.
What to Do if Someone is Being Electrocuted
This is a serious situation that requires you to remain calm, keep your wits about you, and act in a way so as to establish safety for yourself, the person being shocked, and anyone else in the vicinity.
Call 911 immediately- trained medical professionals are needed to provide appropriate care.
- Do NOT touch the person affected if they are still in contact with electrical current – Doing so may pass the current on to you, resulting in two injuries instead of one
- Do not move someone who has just been electrocuted – Unless they are an immediate danger, leave them as they are and wait for medical assistance
Order of Operations
- Call 911 – An ambulance is far better equipped to deal with an electrical emergency than you are
- Disconnect the electrical current – If possible, flip the breaker and shut off the current to eliminate the immediate threat to yourself and others nearby
- If safe, provide immediate care to the injured person – Assuming it is safe to do so, provide basic care while waiting for assistance to arrive: cover any open wounds with a sterile bandage or clean cloth (be sure to avoid materials that “shed”), ensure the injured person is kept warm and comfortable, and take steps so as to prevent further injury. If you have CPR training, you may be required to administer CPR.
At Electrika, We Always Emphasize the Importance of Electrical Safety
Many of the electronics and appliances in your home contain enough electrical potential to seriously harm or even kill you. Taking a few precautions may save your life:
- Never plug a damaged or frayed electrical cord into an outlet
- Never use an electric device that is plugged into the wall when you are wet
- When working on light fixtures, switches, or outlets, always ensure you have disabled the circuit at the breaker and verify that power is disconnected before working with exposed wires
- Ensure the highest level of safety by keeping safety inspections up to date. Electrika offers safety inspections. Contact us for an inspection today.
Electric Shock is No Joke!
Being exposed to a live connection can cause major damage, including:
- Soft tissue burns (mild to severe)
- Difficulty breathing
- Irregular heartbeat (arrhythmias)
- Heart attack
- Muscle pain, cramping
- Psychological problems (confusion, disorientation, etc.)